It’s Columbus Day today. So if you’re planning on going to trivia night this week, I’d study up on some other famous explorers, just to be safe.
If you’d rather not go through each one of these Wikipedia articles one by one, you can take my abridged quiz below.
I asked these questions during Round 4 of last year’s Columbus Day Quiz (and capped it off with this from Sporcle). So if you’re hitting up my pub quiz at Ventnor Sports tomorrow night, you’ll get some brand new questions!
Good luck team! Answers are below Muppet Columbus.
1. (US Geography) Founded on July 24, 1701, by the French explorer and nobleman Antoine de la Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, what is the most populous city in the United States with a name that is derived from French?
2. (Name Game) If you combine the name of a Biblical King and a city in Alaska and you get this French-Canadian fur trading explorer who founded the city of Milwaukee and acted as the city’s first mayor.
3. (Famous Firsts) In 1513, what Spanish explorer and conquistador became the first European to see the Pacific Ocean from the New World, after traversing Panama?
4. (Famous Seconds) What explorer became the second to circumnavigate the globe, between 1577-1580 aboard his ship the Golden Hind?
5. (Famous Scots) What Scottish explorer is credited with being the first European to encounter the Niger River?
(Detroit)(Solomon Juno)(Vasco Nunez de Balboa)(Sir Francis Drake)(Mungo Park)